Sunday, November 6, 2016

What I've Learned - Work and Grad-School


Earlier this year, I posted (on other social media) that I've started back to school! I'm taking classes online through Troy University (Go Trojans!), working on a Masters in Management, with concentration in leadership. 

The first course in the program was a doozy - A Survey of Business Concepts. Basically, this course was a review of everything you would study as a business undergrad crammed into 9 weeks! For me, as a former ENGLISH major, it was a big challenge. Most of the topics were new to me, but thankfully, after 20 years working in the business/corporate world, I had apparently soaked up some of the concepts via osmosis. I made it through the course, and decided, since I am still working full time, I'd be sticking to one course per term.

My second course was on Theories of Organizational Behavior. A fancy title, but the course focused on motivating and managing employees in an organization. We examined different types of behavior at work, and how to handle working with people with different attitudes and skills.

This term, I'm taking Leading and Developing High Performance Teams. So far, I'm really liking it. We're looking at how to structure your team, depending on the tasks and relationships involved. Looking at why it's important to have a mix of personalities and styles, instead of employee clones, so you can look at challenges from different perspectives.

NOTE: now that I'm taking classes that are more focused and related to topics that I'm comfortable with, I'm considering taking more than one class per term. But I'll keep you posted on that.

In general, I'm loving being back in school. Of course, the second-time around, I'm much more interested in the assignments -  AND it's forcing me to get back in the writing groove. I'm turning some of my discussion posts for class into blog posts, so you'll see these educational-themed posts sprinkled in among my usual topics. I want to share some of the videos and articles we're reading in class - I hope you'll find them interesting!

Question of the day: Have you taken any classes while working full time? What are some challenges you faced? Or if you have been putting it off, what's stopping you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to comment. I want to share my ideas, and I want to hear yours, too!